ETFCU awards ten $5,000 Ted Hitch Scholarships
Ten area high school seniors earned $5,000 awards through the Evansville Teachers Federal Credit Union Ted Hitch Scholarship program.
This year’s recipients:
- Caitlyn Blandford, Apollo High School
- Noah Cruse, Shakamak High School
- Julia Dassel, Mater Dei High School
- Mary Eppler, Mater Dei High School
- Lauren Le, North High School
- Shenghui Lin, FJ Reitz High School
- Kyleigh Mayer, Bosse High School
- Isaac Pricher, North High School
- Evan Spellman, North High School
- Conner Wilson, Harrison High School
The scholarships are named in honor of Theodore “Ted” Hitch Jr., a longtime mathematics teacher at Bosse High School who championed education. Hitch served as manager/CEO of ETFCU for 28 years, from 1961-1989. He passed away in 2016.
Since the scholarships’ implementation in 1993, ETFCU has awarded $670,000 to 240 recipients. The award began with five $1,000 scholarships, increased to ten $2,000 scholarships in 2005, and increased again to ten $5,000 scholarships in 2015.
To be eligible, either the applicant or the applicant’s parents/guardians must be a member of ETFCU. Applications are expected to have a minimum 3.75 unweighted grade point average on a 4.0 grading scale, and the rigorous process includes submission of SAT and/or ACT testing scores, financial need, letters of reference, extracurricular activities, and an essay.
A judging committee is appointed by the chairman of the ETFCU Board of Directors